Just a few links and explanations (that I will try to update along the way.)
What is an NFT?
Its a certificate linked to a digital asset, written on a blockchain, that testify your ownerhip on this digital asset (picture, video, code, 3D object, …)
here is a good introduction: Euronews explanation.
and for a longer indepth analyse:washington post “Will NFTs transform the art world? Are they even art?”
Mint: writting an NFT on a Blockchain, creating it.
Drop: when an artist mint a new NFT and makes it available for purchase by “dropping” it on a platform.
Gaz fee: fee to process a transaction (minting & transfering an NFT for exemple) very high on ethereum, can be next to nothing on other blockchains.
Collectibles: Bord Appes and Crypto Punk are the most known collectible. They work a bit like Pokemon cards, with level or rarity. They are collection that comes in big number, usualy 10.000, that are use as profil pictures by theire owners. They are what I try to avoid on NFT, so I tend to go to marketplaces with more art and less collectibles.
PFP: Picture For Proof or Profile Picture.
What are the steps to buy an NFT?
- Buy cryptocurrency on a reliable platform (Bitvavo & Binance has much less fees then Coinbase).
- Open a wallet that accept this crypto and is accepted by the NFT platform you want to buy from (Temple wallet or Kukai for Tezos).
- create an account with this wallet, store safely your account number & your “seed phrase”. The seed phrase is the code giving access to your account from anywhere, so its the most important think to keep hiden and safe.
- transfer your crypto from the platform to your account into your wallet
- synchronize your wallet with the NFT platform you want to buy NFT from.
- Here is the easy part: now you can Buy your NFT on one clic!
There are many places to buy crypto and many wallets of different kinds. I went for the most populate ones: I use Coinbase to buy crypto, Metamask wallet for Ethereum & Matic and Temple wallet for Tezos (My Fleshy Bubble collection is on the Objkt.com platforme, on the Tezos blockchain, but soon I’ll have pieces on Ethereum) – those 2 wallets are extensions of your browser and synch easily with the NFT platforms.
Where to buy NFT ?
There are quite a few platforms and you should navigate by your taste, but Tezos and Ethereum are the main blockchains to go and here are the names of the biggest I checked, and that are worth checking-out :
On Tezos chain (CleanNFT – most efficient blockchain preferred by artist, good for 1st market):
- https://teia.art/ (old Hic and Nunc), versum and Objkt – and of course my collection is a must stop :-;
On Ethereum blockchain (Biggest NFT blockchain):
- Opensea has most of the second market, The Fondation, Superare, Nifty Gateway, Rarible, and Unvirtual 😉
be aware that Ethereum in expensive in transaction/gas fees today. Many platforms seek alternative or 2nd degree chain – like Opensea with polygone/Matic – to lower the cost and carbon footprint of each transaction and of minting of NFT.
This is why I choose Objkt on Tezos for my first NFT Collection, a milion time more eco-friendly.
How / where to show my NFT ?
When you collect NFT, your collection is visible by anyone on the NFT platforms.
But there are other options
- Share on social media
- For your most loved NFTs you can have a dedicated frame : infiniteObject & DragonTouch seems to be the nicest solution today.
- Here is a nice list of other option to show your NFT, in the physical life.
- build your metaver exhibition room, on mozilla hub , cyber.xyz or spacial.io for exemple.